In 1951,10 men that worked for the City of Muskegon started Muskegon Municipal  Employees Federal Credit Union in the basement of a house. The goal was to help people of small means to borrow and save. These men would put money into the credit union and allow others to borrow what they deposited.

In 1966, the Credit Union name changed to Muskegon Governmental Employees Federal Credit Union. Over the years, employees of other municipalities, cities, townships ,and businesses were allowed to join. During that time, the Credit Union continued to improve and grow with the changing times, continuing to serve and support the community.

In 2008, a new location was opened in North Muskegon.

In 2022, the field of membership was opened up to those who live, work, worship, or attend school in certain (underserved) areas of Muskegon County (which consisted of 29 census tracts.)

In 2017, the Credit Union name was changed to Muskegon Federal Credit Union. This new name reflected another exciting change for the community. Anyone who live, work, worship, or attend school in all of  Muskegon County could join.